OKL Polo & Equestrian are Specialist Trainers
With over 40 years’ combined experience breaking horses, specialist trainers at OKL have broken in and educated racehorses, dressage horses, polo ponies, children’s ponies and eventers. Olivia is the first person on the horses’ backs and, being light, she is suitable for all shapes and sizes of horse.
- We start with traditional breaking, lunging and long lining.
- No horse is mounted until it can go through all the paces from the ground and rein back.
- We use sympathetic training aids always, like bunjees and elasticated side reins.
- Nothing is done with direct force.
- From there we mount the horses in a calm and controlled environment. We mount them from both the left and the right, from the ground, using leg-ups and mounting blocks.
- Horses learn to go forwards immediately, they hack out alone and in company and become used to all environments from the off.
- Following that, the process becomes more directed at the sport for which the individual is aimed.
The ethos is that when the horse leaves our yard it is ready to go and learn to do its job, having had a complete all round education. The breaking in service is available all year round. Please see Facebook for videos / insights and do get in touch for further details.Book Online
Why OKL Polo is a great place to learn polo
Instruction is available all year round for all standards from beginners to advanced. Lessons are structured to suit each individual’s or group’s personal requirements and can cover the following: riding, hitting the ball, tactics, the rules of the game and stable management.
- Individual Lessons
- By arrangement courses can be organised for groups of up to 6 players for periods of 1 – 3 days.
- The Wooden Horse is available for club members to use at all times.
- Ponies also available for hire.
- Children’s Club.
- Instructional Polo
Played 3-a-side on a slightly shorter field, and is only open to amateur players of 0 goals and below.
Indoor riding school, Wooden Horse, Stick & Ball and Practice ground (Summer only).
Pupils should have their own whip, sticks, boots and helmets. Sticks and whips can be borrowed by beginners for their first 3 lessons. Whips and sticks are available for sale at the club.
Livery Facilities Include:
- Brand new purpose built yard
- Hot water & wash down
- Access to indoor and outdoor arenas with show jumps, horse box and drivers
I’ve had a few lessons with Olivia at the polo school and she’s really helping to improve my riding and technique. Her encouraging and friendly style of teaching makes learning an enjoyable experience. I’m looking forward to joining in the group lessons soon. Overall a very welcoming team with lovely, well cared for horses and a stunning location.